6.12.09

End of the Semester Ramblings...

  Some of you may have wondered what the name of this blog means, Crop of 12welve (twelve).  It comes from a quote by renowned photographer Ansel Adams...he said, "Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop."  This quote stood out to me for a couple reasons.  First it emphasized quality over quantity, something that is sometimes lacking in our on-demand-fast food-social networked world.  Second, even coming from a master artist such as Adams, he never took his notoriety for granted.  His standards were high.  To me that quote also emphasizes how difficult and time consuming it can be to produce quality images and art that will speak to people.
  In my intermediate photo class, my instructor urged us to use an "editing eye" when compiling our final portfolio for that semester.  Sometimes what you don't show can be just as important, or more, than what you do.  I have tried always keep that in the back of my mind as I progress through my schooling.
  It is getting very near to the end of the semester, and I can honestly say I feel like I am doing some of my best work to date.  This semester has been seriously fun, alot of work, but fun.   I have a new-found direction with my work and career goals, which is exactly what I set out to do when I returned to school last year.  There is still a ton for me to learn and experience though.  One of my goals from here on is to continue to build my skills but also expand and push my creativity. 
  Next session, I am not taking any photo classes (just math...ewwww!), but I am going to push myself to pursue a personal project during this time.  Currently I am putting together my final pieces for my Studio Lighting Portfolio, so I thought I would post a few up for people to see...I am reposting a revised version of Jovan's portrait as well.  All assignments were to be either still lifes or portraits..thanks for reading my ramblings and checking out my work...Thanks to Alyssa for putting up with all my late nights at the lab this semester...just another two weeks...


Faces of Laguardia Studio Portrait


Flower Still Life Assignment


Faces of Laguardia Studio Portrait





No comments:

Post a Comment