23.9.09

Redneck Studio...New York Style

  My first assignment for Studio Lighting, our instructor gave us the task of shooting a still life or portrait using lights that were only available inside our home.  This excludes of course ambient or natural light coming from the sun outdoors.  I suppose we could use some of that as long it was not our primary light source, but the use of daylight is not really the focus of this assignment.  Simply, we have to create our own little studio.  This type of task requires that one get creative and be able to "MacGuyver" a set-up to get the results you envision.  That is basically how I went into this; I had an idea of what I wanted my shot to look like then went around the house gathering lights and other objects to use in what could be called my little "redneck studio".  I wanted to make what I had work for me and then adapt from there if it didn't work out, instead of setting everything up and then trying to figure out what I wanted to shoot.  One thing I have learned is that to be a successful photographer (in terms of images, not necessarily in monetary terms), you have to be able to visualize the image before you can create that image effectively.  I am only posting one image from this assignment at this time, I will probably do another "redneck studio" this week or next, probably with a different subject.  Our class critique is on the 7th of next month and Scott, my instructor, would like us to have 4 work prints to present.
  This was shot digitally using my Nikon D40, a tripod, kitchen placemats, various lights from around the pad, garlic, and (an unlit) candle.  If you can tell me where or how I use the candle in this shot, email me and I'll send you a lollipop.maybe.  Photoshop CS2 was used, but only slightly to correct the white balance.



  (p.s.-------> After uploading this shot, it did seem to lose a little contrast, so I apologize, but I was pleased with my overall result nonetheless.) It was a fairly low contrast to begin with anyway, but I think the softness of the light and shadows works well within the context of this shot.  As I stated before, I will be doing some of this type of work soon as I progress with this project, and will try to post more as soon as I can.
  By the way, If anyone would like a (professional) print of any of  my photos, shoot me a line and I will get a quote out to you regarding price.  Just let me know the specs as to what you would like, i.e. size, type of paper (dont' worry I can help you with this one if you don't know), framing (optional, and also more expensive), and shipping, etc., etc., and if I like you, I might only charge you for cost ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment