30.9.09

Freedom in Control

  Today I took my first baby steps into the world of Medium Format and Studio Photography.  And I lived.  To be honest, it was work, but I had a blast.  After class today, I took advantage of my reserved studio time at the school's photo department.  Working with a camera that has no built in light meter,  requires depth of field preview and a stand the size of a tree definitely took me out of my comfort zone a little, but I liked it. 
  Shooting in the studio has alotted me something I have been missing in alot of my photography so far...control.  I control the lighting, the subject, the camera...the environment as a whole.  The most important aspect to control is the light.  Its all about the light...if you cannot learn to control and work with light, one cannot be successful in photography.  My hope is that this newfound realization will translate into a flood of creativity in my work.
  For now though, I am content to learn my trade.  I have alot to learn yet, but I can say with all honesty, I am enthusiastic for the journey and the new found freedom I have gained to expand my skills and creativity.

   I shot two rolls today using a Hasselblad 501 with a 120mm lens on Ilford Pan F Plus (iso 50).  I plan on developing and printing later this week, so check back soon to see the photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment